Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 2 - March 24, 2009

Image with the Aid of: http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/G/Germination.html




Where would I be without osmosis? It’s the natural diffusion of water through cell walls and membranes. It has allowed me and my sister seeds to awaken and spread our primary roots. I’ve discovered my two cotyledons, or embryonic leaves, so that makes me a decotyledon plant! Lucky me! Since I have two of these early-leaves, my first bud, or plumule, is well protected. My hypocotyls is also starting to begin dragging my cotyledons up... But I’m not sure where we’re going! My hypocotyls the first section between my root and my cotyledons. I’ve barley broken out of my seed, and already I’m beginning to reach for high places!
B. Rapa

DEFINITIONS

Osmosis - diffusion of molecules through a membrane from a place of higher concentration to a place of lower concentration (until the concentration on both sides is equal)
Cotyledon - embryonic in seed-bearing plants
Plumule- the first bud of a plant, protected by the cotyledons

Decotyledon - A plant with two embryonic leaves

Hypocotyls – The section of shoot between the primary root and the cotyledon



No comments: