Thursday, April 30, 2009

Day 3 - March 25, 2009

Very little has changed today. My sprout is still pushing its way to the surface of the dirt in a hypocotyls arch. I can feel that my primary root has been branching out, digging through the dirt and absorbing nutrients. These nutrients are both natural and the nutrients released by slow-release fertilizer tablets. General diffusion and active transport allow my roots to absorb and transfer these nutrients throughout my body and help me grow before I can begin photosynthesis... On I go!

B. Rapa


Hypocotyls Arch: The arch in which a plant sprout, while still underground, appears to be in.

Diffusion: A dissolved particle/nutrient naturally moving from an area of high concentration to and area of low concentration in order to equally distribute itself. This can occur in ion and protein channels of cell membranes.

Active Transport: The movement of a particle or substance against the gradient (direction of flow) of a cell membrane. This type of transport can occur in protein and ion channels and requires the use of energy.

No comments: