Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 5 - March 27, 2009



Ah! I'm free! No longer am I trapped beneath the surface, I'm free to spread my embrionic leaves with all my might! What's this? Oxygen, CO2 and light!? These wonderful things are sustaining me as much as the nutrients in the soil and are keeping me growing! Oxygen and CO2 are being absorbed into my pores and distributed through my cells, which love these great gasses! Oxygen is, in small amounts, is being used by my mitochondria to aid in cellular respiration and to create ATP. It's also, in small, necessary amounts, being converted into CO2 when combined with some waste particles and transported out of my cells. This helps my cells function productfully. However, light and CO2 are what helps me create my food! First, light energy is collected by proteins on my cellular membranes, then water and CO2 combine with the photons to create sugars [C6 H12 O6]. This process is called photosynthesis, which occurs in my choloplast! Soon I'll have the energy required to help me grow my adult leaves and so on... O
Onwards and Upwards!

B. Rapa

Oxygen: A colourless, odourless gas that aids in cellular respiration and is created from photosynthesis.
CO2: Carbon Dioxide, a colourless, odourless gas. It can be a result from cellular respiration as well as contribute to photosynthesis.
Mitochondria: An organelle found in plant and animal cells in which cellular respiration is formed.
Cellular Respiration:The process in which cells break down energy-containing [e.x. sugar/glucose] molecules into usable energy with the aid of oxygen. It occurs in the mitochondira, and is known to aid in fuctions and processes, such as active transport. This energy created is often represented as ATP.
ATP: Adenosine Triphosphate. This is type of nucleotide which is primarily used in the transport of chemical energy within living cells, as it carries energy.
Photons: A photon is a packaged form of light energy, collected in plant cells and transported to the choloplast.
C6H12O6: A general momosaccaride created from photosythesis which provides "food" to the plant cell. The complete equation is 6CO2 + 6H2O +photons (light energy) -> C6H12O6 + 6O2 (Carbon dioxide, water, and light create sugar and breathable oxygen)
Photosynthesis: The process in which plants create sugar and oxygen from carbon dioxide, water, and light.
Cloroplast: This organelle is a plastid containing chlorophyll, which makes plants green. This organelle is also the location in which plant cells carry out photosynthesis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great Info! I learned a lot for my science test :)