Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 21 - April12, 2009




Oh dear, I feel so exposed! My reproductive organs are now beginning to come out into the open! Within the next three days, all my flowers will be opened and I'll be able to reproduce with the best potential. I cannot asexually reproduce, so [artificial] pollination will have to be my fair shot at finding my botanic soul mate. Now that my flowers are opening, perhaps I should explain my anatomy. In the middle of my flower I have a pistil, which contains my stigma, style and ovule. My pistil is my female organs. Quite literally, when I am pollinated, pollen will be trapped in this tube and used to fertilize the eggs. On my male anatomy, I have my filament and anther, which forms my stamen. My filaments support my anthers. In turn, my anthers hold sacs of pollen which can be caught on insects and breezes to allow pollination. Here's a graphic image of my insides (18+ Only; Mature Botanical Content):


Image from: http://www.shaneeubanks.com/images/016_flower.jpg

Anyways, I'll keep you posted on my development.


B. Rapa


Asexual Reproduction: Reproduction that occurs with no outside/supplementary fertilization.

Pollination: The process in which plants are fertilized by the transfer of pollen into the stigma.

No comments: