Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 12 -April 3, 2009


I'm at the point of plant puberty now. I have a bunch of manufactured flowers now, but they haven't bloomed yet. I'm feeling my germ cells of my flowers go through meiosis, but I'll talk about that in my next journal. For now, my somatic cells are going though mitosis.

Mitosis is cell division. Prompted by my DNA, certain cells with different organelles and functions reproduce and build in different places. Some allow more water, some are more rigid and contain more cellulose, some have more plastids and some don't. However, all my somatic cells do the same thing; divide!


It all begins when my cells are mature and fully developed. Quite frequently lately my meristematic cells have been the cells to be replicating. Mitosis contains distinct phases; Interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase, with cytokenisis and interphase pulling up the rear. In a quick overview, this includes my DNA to replicate and coil into chromosomes as my nuclear membrane dissolves. Then, the chromosomes are drawn along the middle of my cell by rigid proteins and then pulled apart from the centromere to the polar ends of the cell. While that's happening, the cells continue to pull apart with a cleavage furrow developing. Whilst this is happening the nuclear membranes reform. Then, my two cells, one new, one old, divide of the cytoplasm and repeat the process once they mature until they die.


Without mitosis, I wouldn't be growing!
B. Rapa
Flowers: The reproductive organ of plants, mostly angiosperm plants. They are often brightly coloured in order to attract pollinating insects.
Germ Cells: Cells which may go through a set number of rounds of mitosis. When that is complete, they will go though meiosis in order to produce haploid gametes.
Meiosis: The cellular division processed in which germ cells go through to create gametes.
Mitosis: The cellular division process in which somatic (body) cells [And some germ cells] go through in order to produce more cells.
Meristematic Cells: Cells which, at the time of cytokenisis and growth, do not have a specific/identified role. They are capable of mitosis. They are the collection of cells at the bud/top of a stem and tips of roots.

No comments: